I am a Contact Center Quality Coach. I am bewildered and do not really know what to do about these agents who seem to be complacent. They meet their numbers, they do the least they can do and still maintain their job. They don’t seem to care if they do better. How can I motivate them? How can I inspire them? I don’t even understand their attitude. I always want to improve and do better and they seem not to be on the same page…. What do I do?
Bewildered and Uninspired
Dear B U,
OH! Boy! Now this is a great question because it pushes every button I have. I am a ‘go-getter’ and I have never understood people who were not that same type. It has been my practice to avoid them and try as I may they keep on showing up. This, of course means they will keep showing up because (you know this I have said it many times….) “anything you resist will persist” and I RESIST them. So, here they come again.
Well, well ,well, Is there nothing new in the Universe? Here is my sage advice and I only say that because I am old and I keep trying to figure out what makes these people tick and since I have failed miserably, I have this word for you. In the words of Vinnie, “fagetaboutit.” Or In metaphysical terms…”Let THEM Be”. Now I know that’s not enough so here is my serious take on the whole issue….ready?
- Calling them “complacent” is a judgment call. You decided they were that way. Oh, I know it looks like they were complacent and THEN you decided to call them that but try this on for size…you decided they were complacent and then you gathered the evidence to prove you were right. It’s called projection creates perception. BUT that’s….too hard to handle. I know.
- SO, Instead – Remember in the L-A-M-A Training and in The Positive Coach Approach we said….GIVE UP your judgments and FIND the emotional need of the OTHER person??? Well, this is it! Here is your chance to see if you have any power in the Universe. YES! You DO!
- Stop judging them and naming them ‘complacent’ because that makes you seem better than they are and they can only do one thing with this….RESIST YOU. If they are meeting their numbers and doing what it takes to PASS. Leave them alone. If you can still create a ‘safe’ environment for them to be exactly the way they are, wait for it……they won’t have to stay in the same place.
- Here is what will happen if you DO NOTHING:
- they will stay the same and you will be at peace about it.
- they will do something wrong or fail just to get your attention
- because they no longer have to resist your judgment call they may start to “man-up” This is all good news.
- The BAD NEWS you don’t get to be RIGHT anymore but you will be happier at your job.
If you insist others change to make you happy…you won’t have fun at your job.
If you open up to thinking you only have one job and that is to make them better at their job and you do it with love instead of fear or judgment…. they will thrive. …or NOT. It will up to them. (Adult Principle in Positive Coach Approach)
It is the height of arrogance to think we have to change other people.
Instead…change ourselves. That is really the only person we CAN change. Rules by J. Glass.
- Show Up On Time
- Be Prepared
- Do What You Said You Would Do
- Do All This With A Great Attitude.
Leave the REST up to the Universe….that always says YES.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.